Pages

Tuesday 29 July 2014

An Open Letter to the Horror Community

Hello,

For a long time now, I've been observing a lot of negativity in the horror community. This negativity has shown itself in a number of different ways. Public name calling, putting people's reputation and professionalism into question, boycotting of certain people's books and films (especially from people who have more of an online presence and clout behind them). The list goes on and on....

I've sat back and watched this all unfold, but I think it's time to have a say. I admit to being a coward for not coming forward sooner and putting my views across. Mostly this was due to fear of receiving backlash myself, but I feel that I let down a few people because I didn't say anything and didn't want to get involved.

But, I've seen the repercussions of this negativity and name calling. Paranoia, depression, the feeling that everyone is against you. I've even witnessed the online aspect filter into, and have an effect, on people's everyday lives. I know people who have had to phone the police to check on relatives because people have posted their personal details online. I know people who have had problems at their place of work.

Why does it have to be like that? I've barely read a horror blog this year that has written much about horror. It has mostly been negativity. "He said this", "she said that", screencaps of things people have said, etc, etc. Why does it have to be like that? What happened to the days that if you didn't like a blog or review you simply ignored it. When did everyone decide "I don't like this, therefore I'm going to destroy this and everything associated with it!". What happened to constructive criticism? "You suck and should die and burn in hell!!!", is never an appropriate comment to ever give. Everyone is doing it though. Just because you're online and can say whatever you like (which you're at liberty to do), doesn't mean you have to say it.

A community to me should support each other, help each other out, have respect for each others differences. The horror community should do this AND make sure that they don't give horror a bad name. All this fighting has to stop. It makes you look like a fool and it's bringing down horror at the same time. I guess what I want to say is, give up all this negativity and try settling your differences and work together for once. Who knows what you'll be able to achieve as a team.

Maybe I'm too much of an idealist. I doubt you'll ever get along. But you can at least tolerate one another.

This is my one and only cry for sense and some unity in the horror community. I'm just a regular guy, with no aspirations of making money out of this blogging stuff. I do it all for the love of the genre. But I think some people have forgotten why they do what they do.

Thank you,

Michael. (Some nobody blogger)

12 comments:

  1. If I don't like something I ignore it, but it seems like a lot of people have forgotten how to do that. I read reviews on amazon and cringe. If you hate a book or movie fine, but attacking the author/cast/crew is totally unnecessary. You make a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Eileen.

      I think it has to stop. There's a ridiculous amount of negativity. And I know I just focused on horror, but it's all over the internet now. Mostly it's just silly comments left by people, but what I've been seeing in the horror community is going way beyond that.

      I know what I wrote us probably pointless, but I had to speak out.

      Delete
  2. Finally, someone who is not being a quiet obedient lemming. See the call is going out. People are tired and will not take it anymore. Horror Unity or death!!!!

    It’s 8 am,
    This hell I’m in.
    Seems I’ve crossed the line again
    for being nothing more than
    who I am.
    So break my bones,
    and throw your stones.
    We all know that life ain’t fair,
    But there’s more of us.
    We’re everywhere.
    We don’t have to take this,
    our back against the wall.
    We don’t have to take this,
    we can end it all.
    All you’ll ever be is a fading memory,
    of a bully.
    Make another joke while they hang you by the rope,
    so lonely.
    Listen to the day when the words
    don’t hurt.
    Can you hear me?
    No ones going to cry,
    On the very day you die,
    you’re a bully….
    Think it through.
    You can’t undo.
    Whenever I see black and blue
    I feel the past I share the bruise
    with everyone who has come and gone.
    My head is clear.
    My voice is strong now.
    I’m right here to right the wrong.
    We don’t have to take this,
    our back against the wall,
    We don’t have to take this,
    we can end it all.
    All you’ll ever be is a fading memory,
    of a bully.
    Make another joke while they hang you by the rope,
    so lonely.
    Listen to the day when the words
    don’t hurt.
    Can you hear me?
    No ones going to cry,
    On the very day you die,
    you’re a bully….

    Word…….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William.

      Yes, of course there is bullying going on to some extent, but I think there's other things going on at a deeper level. Some of this is downright vitriol and malice. And it's coming from all directions.

      The horror community needs to purge all these bad feelings. Stop trying to get the better of everyone else. Work together. Someone needs to hold out the olive branch and truces need to be worked out.

      All very idealistic like I've previously said. But the question is, are you prepared to move on if other people are? If not, then nothing will ever be fixed and this never ending spiral of negativity will continue.

      Delete
  3. If people are willing to mutually apologize, then yes. But it won't happen because these people are so much into what they consider to be a star....meaning heartless ego cases, that they would never even consider it. Look at Jen and Sylvia Soska. I've said if they would just send me an email with the single word "Sorry" in it all would be forgiven and we could heal our one time friendship. All I hear is silence and they go and lie about me to Greg Russell Tiderington and say they block me when the truth which is public knowledge is the opposite....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, well maybe that relationship is irreparable. It's just something to move on from I suppose. Some people will always be like that, there's no avoiding these things. But with other people, matters could hopefully be settled. It just depends upon who wants to swallow their pride a bit and make the first move. I doubt that will happen, so we're probably stuck in a Mexican standoff so to speak.

      I'm glad that at least someone is open to the prospect of shaking off the negativity and getting back to what they love doing. Hopefully other people will have the same view.

      Delete
  4. Oh, also, I agree. The thing is that people need to stop playing "I'm a star" and putting on fake fasads. Most of us are broke lower class people (there is no middle class anymore) who can barely make our bills and are one paycheck away from losing our homes. It is not an insult to admit you have a second job other than making films or whatever. The reason my trolls and bullies can't take me down is because I'm honest. I don't have skeletons....But they do and they will destroy others to keep the horrid truth that they don't live the high life down. It is pathetic and sad. Ego is what is killing horror, not remakes.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody really makes any money at this. Everyone is in the same boat. The sooner people realise that, the better. Everyone is equally as passionate about what they're doing though, and all are entitled to their say. But they need to think about what they're saying and be respectful of other people on the internet. Everyone has different views, but there's no need to be nasty to other people because their views differ. Everyone might want to be an authority on a subject but that'll never happen because individual tastes are very different. As for ego, I don't get that. I don't see how anyone can think they're better than anyone else.

      Horror has so many good films in its history that it'll never die. But who would want to be part of a community that does nothing but squabble with each other, and be full of so much pointless drama? Would you move to a new house if you knew it was in an area like that? Nope! All this is doing is alienating would be horror fans and making the real fans lose all hope.

      Delete
  5. Dude, very well said. I write articles for MoviePilot, and I get some that are in the 20 thousand reads or over range. That's not as much of a good thing as I honestly expected. I mean, I'm always pleased with the articles and stuff that I write, and when it reaches that many people I'm usually thrilled. But as of late, it seems that people just want to be mean and cruel. I've been ridiculed up there, man. I don't mind my opinion being challenged, because a debate is healthy, and all opinions and reviews are subjective. However, when I've got people saying I write at a middle school level and say that I should be a pro wrestler for a living, it gets to me. It's ridiculous. Now, I'm somewhat antisocial about it all and don't even bother reading comments under my articles. I'm supposed to interact with the fans of the site, but I'm done with all that. The people who follow horror really are very opinionated assholes. It's disappointing, and underwhelming. What ever happened to the days when we could just shoot the shit and talk movies, regardless of opinions. Nowadays it's say the popular thing or else. It's saddening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Drew. There's too much nastiness going on now. And for what? All we're doing is talking about movies. People go on about how much they hate censorship, but when they read reviews they don't like, they bully you and try and force you off the internet. Isn't that censorship? Nobody can have an opinion on anything for fear of backlash from the masses who go by the most popular opinion. Like you said, constructive criticism is welcome and can spark a good discussion. But all they want to do is make fun of your appearance and try to insult you personally and they don't have anything constructive to say about anything. Stay on subject or get to fuck!

      Feel free to share this with people if you like. I'm trying to spread this out as far and wide as possible.

      Delete
  6. Never been to your blog before. Interesting post. I can't say I've personally seen any of this hate, but I don't get out much. Come visit my blog when you get a chance. Btw, I hope you don't burn in hell.

    http://xploiting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there.

      It's been happening all over the place. Forums, blogs, Facebook, etc etc etc. Not personally to me, but to people who I regard as friends. You're lucky you haven't seen anything to be honest! :)

      I'll be sure to check out your blog. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!

      Michael.

      Delete