Pages

Wednesday 19 September 2012

Guinea Pig 6: Devil Woman Doctor (Ginī Piggu 6: Pītā no Akuma no Joi-san)

Well, finally I have managed to make it to the 6th film in the controversial "Guinea Pig" series, "Devil Woman Doctor". So far in the series I've seen varying degrees of graphic violence, such as torture and graphic mutilation, and even more degrees of insanity. A man who can't die pulling his internal organs out, a mermaid coughing out pus and worms, midget scientists conducting human experiments, and many more bizarre incidents. But this film has to be the most bizarre film in the series!

"Devil Woman Doctor" was made in 1986 by Hajime Tabe. Strangely enough, this film was produced as the 4th film in the series, but ended up coming out  being the 6th to be released.

It stars a Japanese transvestite called Shinnosuke Ikehata (AKA Peter) in the lead role as the Devil Woman Doctor, an unlicensed doctor who's job is examining "heretical sicknesses where the common sense of medicine cannot be applied".

Basically the film is a series of silly sketches, where the Doctor introduces patients with very ridiculous ailments, and the outcomes of each sketch are usually just as ridiculous. For example, a man with a human face shaped malignant tumour which called a "human face whitlow" in medical terms (insane). The patient is a loud mouth yakuza gang member whereas the tumour (which can talk) is very polite and well spoken. The Doctor persuades the gang member to leave behind his life of crime and try to become a celebrity.


Another random sketch (which I thought was quite funny) is about a relationship between a woman and a walking corpse. He isn't exactly a zombie as he can still act like a normal person, he is just decomposing. They manage to pull a few gags with that sketch. A scene where they pinky promise to love each forever, only for the corpse's pinky to be pulled off. Also another scene where the corpse is given car air fresheners to keep him smelling nice! Very bizarre but I had to laugh.


Finally another sketch where the Doctor has to remove a tattoo using a Freddy Krueger type glove with scalpels on it. the only problem is, the tattoo can move around the body and change shape. We are shown a stop motion scene of a tattoo moving around a man's body changing shape and disappearing then reappearing out the guy's anus! The Doctor tries to cut the tattoo out, but it keeps getting away until the patient ends up running out of skin.


Even for a series as crazy as "Guinea Pig", this is very out of character. It takes a very light hearted approach to things and is very slapstick in nature (the credits come up to a montage of the cast hitting each other, custard pie style in the face with what looks like a board with spikes on it, with blood splatting out of it!). It is quite an oddity even for Japanese cinema. It surely is the worst film in the series, but I had to laugh at the absurdity of it all.

There's not much else I can say about this film. It's bad but you'll find a couple of stupid laughs in it. I've had a good time revisiting the "Guinea Pig" series, from it's dark pseudo snuff beginnings, to it's high concept storyline's and then it's fall from grace with a slapstick comedy ending.

I hope you all enjoyed my post's on the "Guinea Pig" films, even if you hadn't heard of them before. Please leave a comment below and get a conversation going. If you want to hear any more of my ramblings, there are links to my Twitter and Facebook pages to the right. I have also just been given the position of film reviewer at Horror Film Asylum Reviews, a brand new site where I'll be reviewing more mainstream horror films every Wednesday. Check it out!

Thanks for reading,

Michael.



7 comments:

  1. Great review dude! I gotta check these out man, I'm really interested in checking them out! I gotta find somewhere that streams them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Grimm. I know the second and most controversial one, "Flower Of Flesh And Blood", is on YouTube. You may find some other ones too!

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, I'm going to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I actually thought this was one of the best movies in the series! Mermaid in a Manhole was super interesting and so was Devil’s Experiment but the rest of them were just boring to me. I might just not be a fan of fake snuff lol. Devil Woman Doctor was just really funny and bizarre, probably the most entertaining out of them all (I haven’t watched Lucky Sky Diamond tho). Either way, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I actually thought this was one of the best movies in the series! Mermaid in a Manhole was super interesting and so was Devil’s Experiment but the rest of them were just boring to me. I might just not be a fan of fake snuff lol. Devil Woman Doctor was just really funny and bizarre, probably the most entertaining out of them all (I haven’t watched Lucky Sky Diamond tho). Either way, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, I actually thought this was one of the best movies in the series! Mermaid in a Manhole was super interesting and so was Devil’s Experiment but the rest of them were just boring to me. I might just not be a fan of fake snuff lol. Devil Woman Doctor was just really funny and bizarre, probably the most entertaining out of them all (I haven’t watched Lucky Sky Diamond tho). Either way, great review!

    ReplyDelete